What is involved in Data recovery
Find out what the related areas are that Data recovery connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Data recovery thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Data recovery journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Data recovery leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Data recovery related domains to cover and 177 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Data recovery, Adaptation data, Anti-computer forensics, Comparison of file systems, Computer file, Computer forensics, Continuous data protection, Data archaeology, Data erasure, Data loss, Data recovery hardware, Data recovery software, Data remanence, Dd rescue, Disk partition, Electronic devices, End user, Error detection and correction, Factory reset, File carving, File deletion, File manager, File system, File system fragmentation, Flash Translation Layer, Flash memory, Gutmann method, Hard disk drive, Hard disk drive failure, Hard disk drive platter, Head crash, Hidden file and hidden directory, Live CD, Logical block addressing, Magnetic force microscope, Magnetic tape data storage, Master boot record, National Industrial Security Program, Operating system, Optical disc authoring software, Partition table, Physical information security, Printed circuit board, Read/write head, Removable media, Secondary storage, Solid-state drive, Tape drive, USB flash drive:
Data recovery Critical Criteria:
Check Data recovery strategies and point out improvements in Data recovery.
– Will Data recovery have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Data recovery goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What is the most competent data recovery service in the us?
– Is the scope of Data recovery defined?
Adaptation data Critical Criteria:
Design Adaptation data failures and prioritize challenges of Adaptation data.
– What are our needs in relation to Data recovery skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Data recovery?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Data recovery activities?
Anti-computer forensics Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Anti-computer forensics governance and stake your claim.
– What is the source of the strategies for Data recovery strengthening and reform?
– What are current Data recovery Paradigms?
Comparison of file systems Critical Criteria:
Understand Comparison of file systems engagements and integrate design thinking in Comparison of file systems innovation.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Data recovery study?
– Are there Data recovery Models?
Computer file Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Computer file quality and finalize the present value of growth of Computer file.
– Among the Data recovery product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– What is the purpose of Data recovery in relation to the mission?
– Are all computer files backed up on a regular basis?
Computer forensics Critical Criteria:
Study Computer forensics management and separate what are the business goals Computer forensics is aiming to achieve.
– Is maximizing Data recovery protection the same as minimizing Data recovery loss?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Data recovery?
– Which Data recovery goals are the most important?
– Who needs Computer Forensics?
Continuous data protection Critical Criteria:
Look at Continuous data protection visions and slay a dragon.
– what is the best design framework for Data recovery organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– When a Data recovery manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Data archaeology Critical Criteria:
Dissect Data archaeology decisions and budget for Data archaeology challenges.
– Does Data recovery include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What are the usability implications of Data recovery actions?
Data erasure Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Data erasure strategies and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Data recovery experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How can skill-level changes improve Data recovery?
– How much does Data recovery help?
Data loss Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Data loss tactics and attract Data loss skills.
– Which customers cant participate in our Data recovery domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Could you lose your service when an investigation into data loss of another customer starts to affect your privacy and data?
– What types of transactional activities and data mining are being used and where do we see the greatest potential benefits?
– Does the tool we use provide the ability to send and receive secure email without browser plug ins or client software?
– Does the tool we use provide the ability for mobile devices to access critical portions of the management interface?
– Does the tool we use support the ability to configure user content management alerts?
– Where does your sensitive data reside, both internally and with third parties?
– Are there encryption requirements, especially of off-line copies?
– How will the setup of endpoints with the DLP manager occur?
– Do we have Data Protection Service Level Agreements?
– How will we know our systems have been hacked?
– How do we see data loss prevention evolving?
– Who are the data loss prevention vendors?
– Who is sending confidential information?
– Who has (or can have) access to my data?
– What are your most offensive protocols?
– What is considered sensitive data?
– Do you need to pre-filter traffic?
– Why Data Loss Prevention?
– Why Bother With A DP SLA?
Data recovery hardware Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Data recovery hardware visions and mentor Data recovery hardware customer orientation.
– How do we Identify specific Data recovery investment and emerging trends?
– What are the barriers to increased Data recovery production?
Data recovery software Critical Criteria:
Scan Data recovery software risks and forecast involvement of future Data recovery software projects in development.
– Do we monitor the Data recovery decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Have all basic functions of Data recovery been defined?
– Is Data recovery Required?
Data remanence Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Data remanence tasks and slay a dragon.
– Are there recognized Data recovery problems?
– What threat is Data recovery addressing?
Dd rescue Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Dd rescue risks and correct Dd rescue management by competencies.
– In what ways are Data recovery vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
Disk partition Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Disk partition planning and pay attention to the small things.
– How do we maintain Data recoverys Integrity?
Electronic devices Critical Criteria:
Study Electronic devices tasks and proactively manage Electronic devices risks.
– What are specific Data recovery Rules to follow?
End user Critical Criteria:
Investigate End user engagements and observe effective End user.
– Time to market improvements. Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Does the calibration lab or calibration contractor provide the end user notification of any out of tolerance conditions?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– From the end users eyes, is it possible for the change to have a major impact on services if problems occur?
– How does the vendor handle software and hardware maintenance, end user support, and maintenance agreements?
– Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Will the change have only minimal or no impact on services provided to the end users if a problem occurs?
– Will the change have only minor impact on services provided to the end users if problems occur?
– In a project to restructure Data recovery outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Is the change needed to restore immediate service to the end user?
– Will the change be visible only to a small group of end users?
– Will the change be visible to a large number of end users?
– Who will provide the final approval of Data recovery deliverables?
– How significant is the improvement in the eyes of the end user?
– Is the change visible to all end users?
– Can all end user classes be identified?
– How to deal with Data recovery Changes?
Error detection and correction Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Error detection and correction quality and transcribe Error detection and correction as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Data recovery objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Factory reset Critical Criteria:
X-ray Factory reset visions and intervene in Factory reset processes and leadership.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Data recovery move?
– Are accountability and ownership for Data recovery clearly defined?
File carving Critical Criteria:
Align File carving failures and secure File carving creativity.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Data recovery requirements in detail?
– What are all of our Data recovery domains and what do they do?
– Why are Data recovery skills important?
File deletion Critical Criteria:
Prioritize File deletion visions and get out your magnifying glass.
– What is our formula for success in Data recovery ?
– What are our Data recovery Processes?
File manager Critical Criteria:
Look at File manager leadership and probe File manager strategic alliances.
File system Critical Criteria:
Meet over File system leadership and report on the economics of relationships managing File system and constraints.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Data recovery agendas for the next 3 years?
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
File system fragmentation Critical Criteria:
Accelerate File system fragmentation leadership and catalog File system fragmentation activities.
– Think about the functions involved in your Data recovery project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Who sets the Data recovery standards?
Flash Translation Layer Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Flash Translation Layer decisions and proactively manage Flash Translation Layer risks.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Data recovery is underway?
– How can you measure Data recovery in a systematic way?
– What is our Data recovery Strategy?
Flash memory Critical Criteria:
Own Flash memory tasks and sort Flash memory activities.
– What will drive Data recovery change?
– Are there Data recovery problems defined?
Gutmann method Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Gutmann method governance and document what potential Gutmann method megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Data recovery project?
– Is the Data recovery organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Is Supporting Data recovery documentation required?
Hard disk drive Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Hard disk drive engagements and sort Hard disk drive activities.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Data recovery project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Data recovery project lifecycle?
– Can we add value to the current Data recovery decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
Hard disk drive failure Critical Criteria:
Discourse Hard disk drive failure failures and track iterative Hard disk drive failure results.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Data recovery project manager?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Data recovery forward?
Hard disk drive platter Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Hard disk drive platter quality and slay a dragon.
– How do we measure improved Data recovery service perception, and satisfaction?
– How will you measure your Data recovery effectiveness?
– Do we all define Data recovery in the same way?
Head crash Critical Criteria:
Define Head crash issues and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Consider your own Data recovery project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Is there any existing Data recovery governance structure?
Hidden file and hidden directory Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Hidden file and hidden directory visions and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Hidden file and hidden directory results.
– What are the business goals Data recovery is aiming to achieve?
Live CD Critical Criteria:
Adapt Live CD strategies and adopt an insight outlook.
– How do we Improve Data recovery service perception, and satisfaction?
Logical block addressing Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Logical block addressing outcomes and ask questions.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Data recovery that make it risky?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Data recovery objectives?
Magnetic force microscope Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Magnetic force microscope quality and ask questions.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Data recovery process?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Data recovery? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What business benefits will Data recovery goals deliver if achieved?
Magnetic tape data storage Critical Criteria:
Devise Magnetic tape data storage issues and assess what counts with Magnetic tape data storage that we are not counting.
– Does our organization need more Data recovery education?
Master boot record Critical Criteria:
Check Master boot record risks and overcome Master boot record skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Data recovery in a volatile global economy?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Data recovery process?
National Industrial Security Program Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in National Industrial Security Program tasks and gather practices for scaling National Industrial Security Program.
– Do those selected for the Data recovery team have a good general understanding of what Data recovery is all about?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Apply Operating system adoptions and look at the big picture.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Data recovery process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Data recovery process available?
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
– Why is Data recovery important for you now?
Optical disc authoring software Critical Criteria:
Derive from Optical disc authoring software projects and be persistent.
– In the case of a Data recovery project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Data recovery project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Data recovery project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Data recovery leader?
Partition table Critical Criteria:
Model after Partition table results and mentor Partition table customer orientation.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Data recovery models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Data recovery?
Physical information security Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Physical information security tasks and get going.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Data recovery been identified and analyzed?
Printed circuit board Critical Criteria:
Confer over Printed circuit board issues and correct Printed circuit board management by competencies.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Data recovery processes?
– What are the disruptive Data recovery technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– To what extent does management recognize Data recovery as a tool to increase the results?
Read/write head Critical Criteria:
Coach on Read/write head governance and prioritize challenges of Read/write head.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Data recovery with what users do day-to-day?
Removable media Critical Criteria:
Guide Removable media strategies and explore and align the progress in Removable media.
– Is removable media protected and its use restricted according to your organizations policies?
– Does Data recovery analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Secondary storage Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Secondary storage decisions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Secondary storage.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Data recovery Management?
Solid-state drive Critical Criteria:
Discuss Solid-state drive issues and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Solid-state drive projects.
– How would one define Data recovery leadership?
Tape drive Critical Criteria:
See the value of Tape drive outcomes and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Tape drive.
– Why should we adopt a Data recovery framework?
USB flash drive Critical Criteria:
Track USB flash drive tasks and secure USB flash drive creativity.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Data recovery project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Is there a Data recovery Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Data recovery Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Data recovery External links:
Data Recovery Software | Seagate
Data recovery – support.microsoft.com
Adaptation data External links:
Climate Adaptation Data Catalog | California Climate …
[PDF]A New Home for Northern Adaptation Data
terminology – What is adaptation data? – Stack Overflow
Anti-computer forensics External links:
Anti-Computer Forensics.wmv – YouTube
Pursuit Magazine Anti-Computer Forensics
Anti-computer Forensics – Trail Obfuscation
Comparison of file systems External links:
Comparison of file systems – seomastering.com
Computer file External links:
Computer File Explorer – Android Apps on Google Play
What Is a File? (Computer File Definition) – Lifewire
Minimalist’s Guide to Computer File Management – YouTube
Computer forensics External links:
Computer Forensics Tool Catalog – Home
Computer forensics – quiz 2 Flashcards | Quizlet
computer forensics – quiz 1 Flashcards | Quizlet
Continuous data protection External links:
Remote Backup | Continuous Data Protection
Continuous Data Protection — Snowflake Documentation
DiskAgent – CONTINUOUS DATA PROTECTION FOR …
Data archaeology External links:
Global Oceanographic Data Archaeology and Rescue …
http://Data archaeology refers to the art and science of recovering computer data encoded and/or encrypted in now obsolete media or formats. Data archaeology can also refer to recovering information from damaged electronic formats after natural or man made disasters.
data archaeology | Rescuing Historical UK Sea Level Data
Data erasure External links:
Complete Data Removal, Data Erasure Software – Blancco
Data Erasure & Data Compliance | Xtech Global
Data Erasure Solutions | Ontrack
Data loss External links:
Data Loss Prevention & Protection | Symantec
Data Loss and Data Recovery Infographic – EaseUS
Data recovery hardware External links:
Data Recovery Hardware Products DFL-DE:Installation – …
Data Recovery Hardware – RecoveryRus
Data Recovery Hardware | Data Recovery Equipment – YouTube
Data recovery software External links:
Best Android Data Recovery Software in 2017 for Windows …
18 Free Data Recovery Software Tools (February 2018)
Top 15 Best Free Data Recovery Software — 2018 Edition
Data remanence External links:
[PDF]ADS 545mak, Data Remanence Procedures
Data Remanence in Semiconductor Devices | USENIX
What is DATA REMANENCE? What does DATA REMANENCE …
Dd rescue External links:
A.C.B.A. – X-Force Mission Log: DD Rescue – YouTube
Disk partition External links:
How to Repair a Bad Disk Partition | Techwalla.com
Create and format a hard disk partition – Windows Help
What is a Partition? (Disk Partition Definition) – Lifewire
Electronic devices External links:
[PDF]Portable Electronic Devices in Sensitive …
Amtrak crash: Crew not seen using electronic devices, …
How TV, Internet, and Other Electronic Devices Impact Sleep
End user External links:
[PDF]AP-197 Dyed Diesel Fuel End User Signed Statement …
Error detection and correction External links:
Hamming Code – error detection and correction – YouTube
Factory reset External links:
Fitbit Help – How do I factory reset my Charge or Charge HR?
How to factory reset your Harmony – Logitech Harmony …
Consumers – SBG6580: Factory Reset
File carving External links:
File Carving – InfoSec Institute – InfoSec Resources
Advanced File Carving – Nasir Memon – wp.nyu.edu
Forensic Images for File Carving – The CFReDS Project
File deletion External links:
File Deletion – Free Download File Deletion Software
File Deletion – enterprise – Mitre Corporation
5 of the best file deletion software for Windows 10
File manager External links:
ES File Explorer File Manager – Android Apps on Google Play
APK File Manager download | SourceForge.net
http://sourceforge.net › Browse › Other/Nonlisted Topic
Feb 29, 2016 · Download APK File Manager for free. Organize your android .apk collection! Catalog and view informations. With this program you will be able to …
File system External links:
B-File System – Official Site
Description of the FAT32 File System – support.microsoft.com
Formatting a USB Flash Drive to NTFS file system
File system fragmentation External links:
File system fragmentation – YouTube
Flash Translation Layer External links:
[PDF]DFTL: A Flash Translation Layer Employing Demand …
FTL | NAND Flash Translation Layer , Flash File System
FTL | Flash Translation Layer, NAND FTL, Flash File System
Flash memory External links:
How to Back Up a Folder With a Flash Memory Drive: 7 Steps
Flash Memory Cards & SD Cards – AT&T
What Is Flash Memory ? (with pictures) – wiseGEEK
Gutmann method External links:
Gutmann method Archives – East-Tec
Tag: gutmann method – St. Ignatius College Prep Tech Blog
What is the Gutmann Method? (Data Sanitization Method)
Hard disk drive External links:
WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive – …
What Is a Hard Disk Drive? – Lifewire
Amazon.com: WD Gold 4TB Enterprise Class Hard Disk Drive – 7200 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch – WD4002FYYZ: Computers & Accessories
Hard disk drive platter External links:
Hard Disk Drive Platter and Needle – Cool Clean Technologies
Melting Hard Disk Drive Platter – YouTube
Hard disk drive platter – WOW.com
Head crash External links:
Head Crash – ACS Data Recovery
Two teens die in Bulls Head crash – Photo Gallery – SILive.com
Hilton Head crash victims identified | Island Packet
Hidden file and hidden directory External links:
“Hidden file and hidden directory” on Revolvy.com
https://broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Hidden file and hidden directory
Hidden file and hidden directory – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Hidden file and hidden directory
About: Hidden file and hidden directory – DBpedia
Live CD External links:
Windows 7 Live Cd From Usb – Internet Archive
Windows 10 Live CD ISO Free Download – YouTube
Why you want a Linux Live CD – CNET
Logical block addressing External links:
Data Storage – Logical Block Addressing (LBA) …
Logical block addressing – YouTube
Logical Block Addressing – DEW Assoc
Magnetic tape data storage External links:
Mgtape.com: Magnetic Tape Data Storage Solutions
Master boot record External links:
Master Boot Record – technet.microsoft.com
Restore, Fix, Repair Master Boot Record (MBR) in Windows
[PDF]Master Boot Record Save/Restore BIOS Feature for …
National Industrial Security Program External links:
National Industrial Security Program | National Archives
NISPOM – National Industrial Security Program Operation Manual
[PDF]NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL SECURITY PROGRAM
Operating system External links:
nCino Bank Operating System
Operating System and Browser warning
KAR Management Operating System (MOS) – Login
Optical disc authoring software External links:
List of optical disc authoring software – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/List of optical disc authoring software
Partition table External links:
What is GPT (GUID Partition Table)? – Computer Hope
Physical information security External links:
Basic Physical Information Security Training – YouTube
What Is Physical Information Security? (with picture)
Printed circuit board External links:
Screaming Circuits – Prototype Printed Circuit Board …
Printed Circuit Board Supplier & Manufacturer | PCB …
Printed Circuit Board Manufacturer PCB | Gorilla Circuits
Read/write head External links:
Read/Write Head HF/UHF – TURCK
ANT410 – Read/write head – eclass: 27280401 / 27-28-04-01
read/write head – Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com
Removable media External links:
Chapter 13 Removable Media Flashcards | Quizlet
Removable media and mobile computing devices have …
Secondary storage External links:
Secondary storage – IKEA News – IKEA
Types of Secondary Storage Devices | Techwalla.com
Ch.7 Secondary Storage Flashcards | Quizlet
Tape drive External links:
[PDF]HP LTO Ultrium 5 tape drive technical reference …
USB flash drive External links:
Cruzer Glide 3.0 USB flash drive – SanDisk
1TB USB Flash Drive | eBay